Prep Time: 30 minutes Bake Time: 20 minutes
Oven Temp: 350 Makes 6 (the picture below serves 12)
4 ounces dried spaghetti
1 tablespoon butter
1 beaten egg
1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
8 ounces ground beef
1/2 cup chopped onion (1 medium)
1/2 cup chopped green pepper
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds, crushed
1 8-ounce can tomato sauce
1 teaspoon dried oregano, crushed
1 cup low-fat cottage cheese, drained
1/2 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
1. Cook spaghetti according to package instructions. Drain
2. Return spaghetti to warm saucepan. Stir butter into hot pasta until melted. Stir in egg and parmesan cheese; set aside.
3. Meanwhile, in a medium skillet cook ground beef, onion, sweet pepper, garlic, and fennel seeds until meat is brown and onion is tender. Drain. Stir in tomato sauce and oregano; heat through.
4. Coat a 9 inch pie plate with nonstick cooking spray. Press spaghetti mixture onto bottom and up sides of pie plate, forming a crust. Spread cottage cheese on the top and up the sides of pasta crust. Spread meat mixture over cottage cheese. Sprinkle with shredded mozzarella cheese.
5. Bake at 350 for 20 to 25 minutes. To serve, cut into wedges.
270 calories per slice
11 grams of total fat
Although this looks like a big pile of cheese, this is the classic spaghetti pie. I hadn’t eaten this dish since I was little so I thought I would try it again. Since I’m all packed up, I have limited resources. I didn’t have a pie dish, so I ended up doubling the dish and putting it in a standard casserole dish. This dish was delicious and makes enough to last for almost the whole week.
Next time I’ll take a picture of a slice since this isn’t very representative of what is in the dish.
I’m sure you are wondering if I’m going to be one of those bloggers that posts only one a month. Let’s hope not. I was busy finishing up with finals and getting ready to leave for the summer. It’s amazing how much you have to do in order to prepare!! I will try my best to be better from here on out.
2 days to go!!!!!